Contractor Burned by Acid Tank Leak in Baltimore

July 10, 2008

A Baltimore fire official says workers were evacuated from a Curtis Bay chemical plant after a contractor received an acid burn to the face from a leaking tank.

It happened around 9:30 a.m. at the Maryland Chemical Company in the 3300 block of Childs Street.

Fire Department spokesman Chief Kevin Cartwright says a contractor repairing a valve on a 4,000 gallon tank containing sulfuric acid was sprayed in the face. He says the contractor was decontaminated and taken to a hospital.

A hazardous materials task force was able to stop the leak and the leaked acid was contained.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.