Waste Fuel Drum Blamed for Massive Connecticut Fire

June 16, 2008

A town official in Colchester, Connecticut says a fire that destroyed a building at a car recycling business Friday was caused by a 55-gallon drum of waste fuel that ignited when a car fell off a lift and knocked the drum over.

First Selectman Linda Hodge said Saturday that the state and local fire marshal’s offices have completed their investigation, but a report will not be available for several weeks.

The fire at M & J Auto Recycling sent flames and black smoke 100 feet into the air. It was visible in Hartford more than 25 miles away and along Connecticut’s shoreline.

Route 85 was closed for hours while more than 200 firefighters from around the region battled the blaze.

Two people were injured.

A voluntary water restriction is in effect until today because a large amount of water was used to fight the fire, Hodge said. Residents have been asked to not water lawns, fill pools or run sprinklers.


Information from: Norwich Bulletin

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.