‘Smoking Materials’ Blamed for Massive Connecticut Fire

May 30, 2008

A fire chief in Norwich, Connecticut says the blaze that destroyed a large apartment complex last month was accidental and started when a resident improperly discarded smoking materials.

Chief Kenneth Scandariato said the April 26 fire at the Peachtree complex started when the unspecified “smoking materials” ignited pine needles, foliage and a first-floor deck.

Scandariato did not disclose the resident’s name, but said no charges would be filed.

More than 160 residents were displaced when the fire raced through the 120-unit complex, destroying both buildings. No injuries were reported, but tenants lost most or all of their belongings.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.