No Charges Filed in Md. Multi-Vehicle Crashes Last Fall

April 19, 2005

Maryland State Police have concluded their investigation into a series of weather related, multiple-vehicle crashes on Interstate 95 during October of last year, that caused numerous injuries and forced the closure of the heavily traveled corridor for several hours.

The early evening crashes occurred on Oct. 16, 2004, at approximately 4:30 p.m., when a fast moving storm passed through the area. Drivers and witnesses reported a heavy amount of wind, rain and hail associated with the storm. The crashes occurred along an 11-mile stretch of I-95 from just north of White Marsh, to Belcamp, MD. The interstate was completely re-opened at 11:40 p.m.

More than 50 people were injured during the collisions and transported by ambulance to four area hospitals. Four people were flown from the scene to Shock Trauma in Baltimore with injuries thought to be life-threatening. Others were taken from the scene by bus and treated at the Joppa-Magnolia Fire Department. No one died from injuries. A total of 92 vehicles involved were initially reported to investigating troopers. Of those, 60 were subsequently towed from the scene.

During the past several months, troopers have interviewed drivers and witnesses and have reviewed photographs taken and statements submitted during the initial phase. Those drivers who did not remain at the scene contacted troopers at the JFK Highway Barrack several days following the initial incident to report their involvement.

When all information was compiled, investigators determined that a total of 33 separate crashes had occurred, involving at least 130 vehicles. Twenty-nine crashes at 17 different locations occurred in the southbound lanes. Four crashes at four different locations occurred in the northbound lanes.

Troopers contacted representatives of the State’s Attorney’s offices in Baltimore and Harford counties regarding the unusual chain of events. A decision was made to not charge anyone in connection with the crashes.

Numerous fire and rescue personnel responded from Baltimore, Harford and Cecil counties to render aid. Units from Baltimore also responded. This is believed to be the largest mass vehicle crash in Maryland history.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.