Utah Boy Ignites $5K Bedroom Fire With Lighter

December 29, 2011

Authorities say a 6-year-old Sunset boy playing with a lighter started a weekend fire that caused more than $5,000 in damages to his family home.

KTVX of Salt Lake City reports the fire broke out just before noon Saturday.

Sunset Fire Chief Neil Coker says the boy had the lighter in his bedroom at was trying to set his clothes of fire. The flames ignited a nearby bed set and started to spread.

Coker says the boy’s father used a fire extinguisher to douse the flames.

Investigators say the damages from smoke and fire will total about $5,000, but the home is habitable.

The boy was not injured.

Was this article valuable?

Here are more articles you may enjoy.