The policies below are applicable to Claims Journal Online, which is owned and operated by Wells Media Group Inc.
Collection of Information
As a general policy, no personal information is automatically collected from visitors to the InsuranceJournal site, nor is so-called cookie technology used to collect personally identifying information by the sites created by Wells Media Group Inc.
This means that we will not know your name, your email address, or any other personally identifiable information just because you browse the Claims Journal web site unless you:
- access the web site from a link in an email that we sent;
- have a subscription and account and log-in to your account; or
- have created a profile and log-in when you access the web site.
When we do need to collect personally identifiable information from you, we will ask you to voluntarily supply us with the information we need. For example, if you would like to subscribe to our magazine, we will ask you for information such as name, address, telephone number, email address and credit card number to process your subscription request. We may collect this information directly
from you by telephone, fax, email, upon completion of an application or enrollment form, or through your use of our web site.
InsuranceJournal.com will only collect personally identifying information with prior notification of its users. Cases may include but are not limited to the following: (i) survey, contest or sweepstakes registration and (ii) subscription. In addition, information is collected in certain portions of sites in which guests specifically and knowingly provide such information along with content
submissions, community postings (i.e., forums), suggestions, or reader service responses. InsuranceJournal.com may use such information for editorial and feedback purposes (to the extent that is explained when guests provide the information). In the event InsuranceJournal.com plans to post any such information on a site, guests are provided prior notification of such posting.
The types of personally identifiable information that we collect may include your name, company name, home, work and email addresses, telephone and fax numbers, credit card information, your month of birth, and information about your profession, such as the types and quantities of insurance you sell if you are an insurance agent and your agent/broker premium volume.
Claims Journal may also collect non-personally identifiable information about you, such as your use of our web site, communication preferences, Internet habits, aggregated data relative to your web site visits, and responses to promotional offers and surveys.
You may be offered the choice not to submit your personal information or to decide what communications you want to receive from us. However, doing so may cause certain transactions to become affected. For example, not providing a name will prevent the processing of subscription requests.
Use of Information
Claims Journal Online may disclose your information to others:
- when we have received your consent to do so;
- when we communicate with employers, companies or organizations, who have made subscription requests, agreed to make payments, arranged for discounts, or purchased services on your behalf or if you use our services under a corporate or other commercial account;
- if you seek to have your subscription charges invoiced to your employer or any other third party, we may disclose personally identifiable data about you to that employer or third party and to any companies that assist the third party in processing invoices;
- when we report to credit card issuers, credit reporting and fraud checking agencies and debt collection agencies;
- if you choose to do business with us through, or with the assistance of, your employer or any third party or other intermediary, we may disclose personally identifiable data about you to the employer or other intermediary to make, modify or cancel a subscription made through the web site, to respond to questions or comments made by the employer on your behalf, to facilitate any other task
that the employer or intermediary advises us that you intend for Claims Journal Online to fulfill, or that Claims Journal Online would, as a matter of industry practice, typically fulfill;
- in situations where sharing or disclosing your information is required in order to offer you services you desire;
- when companies or service providers that perform business activities on behalf of Claims Journal Online require such information (e.g., credit card processing, customer support services, market research administration or database management services);
- when a preferred partner of Claims Journal Online ceases to do business with Claims Journal Online and access to your personally identifiable information is necessary to facilitate business operations or meet contractual obligations;
- in the event Claims Journal Online is merged with or acquired by another company;
- to comply with legal or regulatory requirements or obligations in accordance with applicable law or court order, and otherwise as we believe is necessary or appropriate to satisfy any law, regulation or other governmental request, to operate our web site properly, or to protect or defend our rights or the rights or well-being of our employees, users or others or if you are involved (or
are suspected by governmental authorities or our security functions to be involved) in any illegal activity, even without a subpoena, warrant or court order; or
- in case of emergency such as to safeguard the life, health, or property of an individual.
If information is shared as mentioned above, we will limit the scope of information that is furnished to the amount necessary for the performance of the specific function. We may confirm personal information you provide us on applications and forms, with third parties, such as your bank, employer, government entities, credit agencies, and other businesses where you have an account or a credit
card. Unless otherwise precluded by legal process, we require third parties to protect your personally identifiable information and abide by applicable privacy laws and regulations.
Use of Email
We will use your email address to send a subscription confirmation and, if necessary, might use the other information to contact you for help in processing the subscription. We will also use your email address to:
- notify you about special offers and promotions as described in this privacy statement;
- send you copies of your bills when you request them; and
- send you periodic satisfaction or market research surveys.
As part of our commitment to keep you informed, we may contact you via mail, email, telephone, or by other means to notify you of new Claims Journal products and services, or upcoming Claims Journal special offers, events, enhancements, or other relevant information that may be of interest to you. You may also receive mailings or other communications from carefully selected partners,
such as our referral partners or our customer satisfaction surveyors. We may offer you the option to decline any or all of these communications by following the directions included in our emails or other communications, or by contacting Claims Journal directly.
In some cases your permission will be implied from the nature of the service requested or transaction undertaken. For example, Claims Journal may collect and use personally identifiable information that you volunteer, or behavioral data or information collected in the aggregate. In addition, your permission will be deemed given for communications from us that are necessary to fulfill
transactions and services that you request.
In certain circumstances, we will seek your express permission when we collect information that is regarded under certain countries? data privacy regulations to be sensitive in nature, such as racial or ethnic origin, marital status, or health conditions.
To ensure that your personally identifiable information is accurate and up to date, we encourage you to contact us to update your information in the event your home, work or email address change, or you wish to add an additional method for us to communicate with you. Please note that in an effort to prevent the unauthorized disclosure of your personally identifiable information, you may be
asked to provide proof of identity (or other authentication materials) together with the completed access request form. Access to personally identifiable information from non-Claims Journal subscribers cannot be provided by telephone.
Occasionally, information that you request to be removed will be retained in certain files for a period of time in order to properly resolve disputes or to troubleshoot problems. In addition, some types of information may be stored indefinitely on “back up” systems or within log files due to technical constraints, or financial or legal requirements. Therefore, you should not always expect
that all of your personally identifiable information would be completely removed from our databases in response to your request for deactivation.
Claims Journal recognizes the importance of information security, and is constantly reviewing and enhancing all technical, physical, and logical security rules and procedures. After information reaches Claims Journal, it is stored on a secure server that resides behind firewalls designed to block unauthorized access from outside of Claims Journal. All Claims Journal owned web
sites and servers have security measures in place to help protect your personally identifiable information against loss, misuse, and alteration while under our control. Although “guaranteed security” does not exist either on or off the internet, we safeguard your information using both procedural and technical safeguards, including VeriSign Secure Server ID. The use of VeriSign?s services
allows for the use of Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), an encryption method used to help protect your data from interception and hacking while in transit.
Links To Other Web Sites
In order to anticipate your needs, Claims Journal provides links to other web sites for your convenience and information. Claims Journal is not responsible or liable for any content presented by or contained within any independent web site, including, but not limited to, any advertising claims or marketing practices. Please note that while Claims Journal will protect your information
on Claims Journal owned and operated web sites, we cannot control and will not be responsible for the privacy policies of third party web sites, including web sites owned or controlled by independent franchisees or third party owners of companies that may use the name of an Claims Journal brand, or web sites not controlled or authorized by Claims Journal. Third party web sites that
are accessed through links on our web site have separate privacy and data collection practices, and security measures. We have no responsibility or liability for the practices, policies and security measures implemented by third parties on their web sites. We encourage you to contact them to ask questions about their privacy practices, policies and security measures before disclosing any
personally identifiable information. We recommend that you review the privacy statements and policies of linked web sites to understand how those web sites collect, use and store information.
Claims Journal does not seek to obtain, nor does it wish to receive personally identifiable information directly from minors; however, we cannot always determine the age of persons who access and use our web site. If a minor (as defined by applicable law) provides us with his/her data without parental or guardian consent, we encourage the parent or guardian to contact us to have this
information removed and to unsubscribe the minor from any future Claims Journal marketing communications.
If you have comments or questions regarding Claims Journal’s data privacy practices or this Online Privacy Statement or you would like to update your information, modify your communication preferences, or if you do not want to receive marketing communications from Claims Journal in the future, you can contact us at:
3570 Camino del Rio North
San Diego, CA 92108
Telephone: (619) 584-1100
US Toll Free: (800) 897-9965
Fax: (619) 584-1200
Claims Journal may amend this Online Privacy Statement from time to time in order to meet changes in the regulatory environment, business needs, or to satisfy the needs of our customers, affiliates, strategic marketing partners, and service providers. Updated versions will be posted to our web site and date stamped so that you are always aware when the Online Privacy Statement was last
Revised September 2012