Authorities in eastern Pennsylvania say an accidental fire in a blast furnace at the former Bethlehem Steel site caused a lot of smoke but no injuries.
Deputy fire marshal Robert Novatnack says workers with the Sands Casino Resort were using welding equipment in blast furnace C when residual grease inside the unit caught fire Tuesday afternoon.
Novatnack says a team of 16 firefighters used water and dry chemicals to knock the fire down at about 2:15 p.m. Tuesday. He says the blaze was contained to the blast furnace and no other buildings were damaged.
Novatnack told The (Allentown) Morning Call that workers are occasionally at the former Bethlehem Steel Co. facility to maintain the buildings.