Cleanup of Minnesota School Destroyed by Fire Involves Asbestos

Minnesota’s health department and pollution control agency are getting involved in the demolition and cleanup of a historic school in St. Cloud that was destroyed by fire.

Mike Adair of Legacy Services Corp. will manage the project. He tells the St. Cloud Times that state regulators consider the entire site to be potentially contaminated due to asbestos. The government has strict rules on cleaning up asbestos which is associated with lung cancer and mesothelioma.

The Roosevelt Education Center was built in 1920 when asbestos was often used in insulation and floor and ceiling tiles. A lightning strike is believed to have started the fire that destroyed the old school in mid-June.