Insurer Asks Nebraska Court to Review Carbon Monoxide Case

An insurance company is asking a federal court to absolve it from paying a claim by the widow of a central Nebraska church pastor who died of carbon monoxide poisoning in a house owned by the church.

John Green had been pastor of Clay Center Christian Church for 23 years when he was found dead in November 2009. His wife, Cheryl, was found unconscious and flown to an Omaha hospital. Authorities say the pair had been poisoned by a carbon monoxide leak from the home’s heating system.

Cheryl Green sued the church, hoping its insurer will pay more than $325,000 in lost wages, medical bills and funeral costs.

In his lawsuit, Church Mutual Insurance Co. attorney Christian Preus (PRICE) says the church’s policy excludes coverage for carbon monoxide poisoning.