Erasing the Abuse of Unlicensed Public Adjusters

By Jason Wolf | February 17, 2014

• December 17, 2014 at 4:28 pm

The Florida Association of Public Insurance Adjusters encourages everyone to report the dangerous and illegal practice of unlicensed public adjusting.

Anyone who practices as a public adjuster in Florida should have passed a Certified Adjuster course, be fingerprinted, licensed & bonded, be a member of their state public adjuster association and, have experienced a one year apprenticeship program under the instruction and guidance of a qualified public insurance adjuster.

There is simply no excuse for the unlicensed practice of public adjusting.

• July 7, 2015 at 4:46 pm
    Amy says:

As the victim of an unlicensed public adjuster/contractor I can attest to this. Never let a contractor handle your claim, ever. A small fire with very little damage was exaggerated for over $90k, and now the contractor is suing me. I have spent mover the $25k fighting him, and cannot get a single entity to assist – not the board of contractors nor the insurance commission to look into the public adjusting component of this contractor’s work and contracts. In CA is illegal and every contract signed with a unlicensed PA can be voided by the insured. However I am still being sued… sigh. As are others… also before hiring a contractor you should run his name through a search in your county’s court database and see if they sue customers, and how often. If I had done that I would have known the tactics and abuses this man perpetrates on customers.

• July 8, 2015 at 11:10 am

Amy.. what state are you in? I may be able to point you in the right direction. I’m so sorry you are a victim of an unlicensed and untrained person appearing to be engaging in this illegal practice. Public adjusters have a fiduciary duty to policyholders and are heavily regulated. Contractors have no fiduciary duty to the policyholder. Follow this link for more information on this practice, in Florida: https://nebula.wsimg.com/38bcffccb95931199b05aa41c8028673?AccessKeyId=5BFEDA1B858FF5AB014E&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

• October 24, 2015 at 10:09 am
    Jamie Johnson says:

I am also a victim of adjuster/contractor fraud. The situation occurred over a water damage claim at my home in Georgia. However, the contract sent by my insurance company was based out of Tallahassee, FL.

Is this illegal in Georgia? Who do I report this abuse to? I don’t want it to happen to anyone else.

• October 26, 2015 at 8:51 am

I couldn’t tell you without more details if anything illegal may have occurred. But start by finding out if the contractor is licensed to do work in Georgia. What did they do that was illegal in your opinion?

• October 22, 2017 at 8:58 pm
    David says:

My wife and I are victims of unlicensed, out-of-state adjusters here in the State of Texas. These
    unlicensed adjusters were, in fact, employed by an out-of-state third party administrator,
    Corvel Corporation. they were hired by DSW, Inc., the big shoe store chain.

What is the point of Texas having comprehensive laws relative to insurance companies and third
    party administrators, when companies and adjusters who are unlicensed can operate in Texas
    freely? DSW went out of their way to hire entities which would not comply with the laws of Texas,
    and would act in bad faith towards Texas citizens.