- CompanyNYC Office of the Comptroller
- LocationNew York, NY
- Posted OnAugust 22, 2019
The Bureau of Law & Adjustment (BLA) is responsible for investigating and adjusting claims filed against the City of New York. The Premises Liability Claims Division investigates and resolves pre-litigation claims involving New York City schools, parks and recreation, building and property, health facilities and uniformed employees and consults with BLA’s Litigation Unit and the New York City Law Department to resolve these pre-litigation claims.
Under the direction of BLA’s Director of Tort Claims, with wide latitude for independent initiative and judgment, the responsibilities of the Chief of Premises Liability Claims include, but are not limited to:
• Serves as the head of the Division and manages its functions to ensure compliance with Bureau procedures, statutes and laws;
• Supervises staff in the handling of attorney and pro-se claims including determining the validity of claims for disallowance (timeliness, correct entity etc.) and the assessment of liability and damages for potential pre-litigation settlements based on a review of case law, accident reports, medical records, 50-h examination, liens and other statutory and supporting documentation;
• Notifies New York City Law Department’s Special Litigation Unit on high profile premises liability claims for potential handling and ensures that all cross claims are asserted where applicable;
• Manages the overall claim distribution work flow amongst staff and ensures that all claims are handled appropriately and timely along with identifying claims in which insurance is available to defend and indemnify the City;
• Prepares employee performance evaluations; reports instances of employee misconduct/misbehavior, performance problems, disturbances and unusual occurrences and documents as necessary; and,
• Performs related assignments and special projects as required.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
1. Admission to the New York State Bar and four (4) or more years of progressively responsible experience performing highly complex and significant legal work subsequent to admission to any bar; 18 months of which must have been in the supervision of other attorneys, in an administrative, managerial, or executive capacity. Incumbents must remain members of the New York State Bar in good standing during the duration of this employment; or,
2. A BA/BS degree from an accredited college and six (6) or more years of progressively responsible experience investigating, adjusting, litigating and/or settling liability claims, 18 months of this experience must have been in an administrative, managerial or executive capacity or supervising staff investigating and settling of liability claims or related work; or,
3. Education and/or experience equivalent to “2” above. However, all candidates must have the 18 months of experience in an administrative, managerial, or executive capacity as described in “2” above.
Preferred Skills in addition to Minimum Qualifications
• Strong analytical and negotiation skills;
• Comprehensive knowledge of tort claims; including the investigation, adjustment, and disposition of claims;
• Basic understanding of the process/relationship between the NYC Comptroller’s Office and the Law Department with respect to lawsuit dispositions;
• Demonstrated ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of management, government officials, attorneys, and the public;
• Experience preparing clear, concise, and accurate analytical reports, including the provision of recommendations for review, creation, and modification of policies and procedures;
• Exceptional writing and verbal skills, attention to detail, and the ability to perform multiple tasks requiring prioritization; and
• Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills (including Microsoft Office Suite proficiency).
The NYC Comptroller’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Division Chief, Premises Liability Claims
NYC Office of the Comptroller
Salary: $85,000 – $95,000
Bureau/Division: Bureau of Law & Adjustment
Period: July 9, 2019 – Until Filled
How to Apply
TO APPLY, GO TO: Employment Opportunities at www.comptroller.nyc.gov
Certain residency requirements may apply. We appreciate every applicant’s interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.